What do I do if I was struck by a hit-and-run driver who left the scene of the accident?

1. If you have been injured, seek medical treatment.


2. Regardless of whether you have been injured, call the police and report the accident immediately. It is imperative that you tell the police everything you know about the vehicle that struck you. Often, the police will be able to take a partial tag number or a vehicle description down and find the offending party. However, even in cases where the driver who struck you cannot be identified, it is critical to have the police document your accident. Obtain a police report incident number.


3. Photograph any evidence you can which depicts the damage to your vehicle or the scene of the accident, which might be relevant.


4. If you are injured, consider speaking with lawyer. You may have standing to make what is known as an uninsured motorist claim. Most drivers in Maryland and Virginia carry insurance that provides for uninsured motorist coverage in the event they are struck by an uninsured vehicle. In most of these policies, a hit and run vehicle is synonymous with a "phantom vehicle" which is by definition, "uninsured," as the insurance carrier for the vehicle cannot be determined.


For more information on Uninsured Motorist Claims, visit our Auto Accident Practice Area Page



What Does an Uninsured Motorist Claim in Maryland Cover?

Uninsured motorist coverage may usually be utilized to pay for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages caused by the uninsured driver. As with other types of claims, proper documentation and elements of proof are critical. Some states require that there is an actual impact between the two vehicles. Other states, such as Maryland have no such requirement. As every case has unique facts, it is critical to contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run



Robert W. Katz
Bob Katz is Chair of the Personal Injury Group at Gordon Feinblatt, LLC