Maryland, Washington, And Virginia Boat Accident Lawyers Dive In For Watercraft Safety
If you live near the waterways of Maryland or Virginia, boating in the Atlantic Ocean isn’t out of the question. Taking a personal watercraft out on a Maryland or Virginia lake or river isn’t either. The East Coast is a water lover’s playground, but are you prepared for an emergency at sea? What if your boat starts to take on water, or you and your passengers are tossed into the water when your boat flips over in Maryland or Virginia?
There are several pre-trip measures one can take to prepare for boating accidents off Maryland and Virginia’s coasts. Before leaving on your boat trip:
Tell someone when and where you plan to go boating:
- Speak in person with an adult who is staying on shore.
- Record your boat trip plan in writing or on voicemail for later reference.
- Include a list of passenger names in your message.
- Exchange phone numbers with your on-shore contact.
Equip your boat with an emergency kit, including:
- A waterproof container tethered to the inside of your boat.
- An emergency radio or walkie-talkie stowed in the waterproof container.
- Cell phones, also stowed in the tethered waterproof container while you are on the water.
- First aid supplies protected inside the waterproof container.
Create your own offshore distress kit, including:
- Several waterproof flares or a strobe light.
- A waterproof flashlight and extra batteries.
- A whistle or hand-held horn.
- Mirrors or other shiny objects.
- Foul weather clothing.
Life Jackets: Not a Fashion Statement
Last but not least, be certain your boat is equipped with at least one personal flotation device for each passenger. It’s worth investing in life jackets that are comfortable and vented so you can wear them and enjoy a safe boating experience. Consider the 2010 U.S. Coast Guard’s report on deaths by drowning: in one year a total of 484 deaths by drowning were recorded, and out of this total number of deaths 395 victims were not wearing life jackets.
The Best Laid Plans
Sometimes, despite the best prevention plans, recreational trips off the Virginia coast turn into boating tragedies. If you’re suffering with injuries from a Virginia boating accident, or if a loved one was killed in a watercraft crash in Maryland, you need to consult with Bob Katz boat accident lawyers in Baltimore . You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses.
Bob Katz’s Boat Accident Lawyers offer you numerous experienced attorneys who will give you and your accident case the individual attention you deserve.
Call Bob Katz for a free, confidential consultation. Phone lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to serve you. We serve accident victims of all ages, occupations, and ethnicities. We practice in and accept clients from Maryland, Washington DC, and Virginia. No legal fees are assessed unless compensation is recovered. Call Bob Katz today at 1-888-540-2599.