Justin P. Katz
Justin is a Partner with Bob Katz Law. As a personal injury attorney and an experienced litigator, clients rely on Justin to solve their most difficult legal problems. Justin focuses his practice on a diverse set of injury claims.
Whether the client is a victim of a simple car accident, or a wrongful death, Justin and his team work tirelessly to get results for each client. Justin’s diverse practice regularly handles the following types of injury matters on behalf of clients:
- Motor vehicle collisions/automobile negligence claims,
- Bus and trucking accidents,
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist claims,
- Wrongful death actions,
- Maryland Workers’ Compensation Claims,
- Dog bites/Animal attack injuries
- Food poisoning injury,
- First and third-party insurance bad faith claims
- Injuries to Children (minor settlements)
Prior to joining with his father’s practice, from 2004 until 2011, Justin began his legal career at a preeminent and highly respected Plaintiff’s personal injury practice where he received extensive first-chair trial experience and tried hundreds of cases to verdict. In 2011, Justin joined the Bob Katz Law Injury Group to work with his father and is proud to have been able to continue his legal education under the mentorship of his father, Robert W. Katz
In 2011 Justin was named a “Rising Star” by Maryland Super Lawyers and continued to receive this recognition through 2018. He was also selected to membership in the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 organization, as well as the National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 under 40 in 2015 and 2016, and has a Superb 10/10 rating on AVVO.
Justin is admitted to and practices throughout the District and Circuit Courts of Maryland and Virginia, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, and the United States District Court for the State of Maryland, the Superior Court for the District of Columbia, and the United States District Court for the Commonwealth of Virginia (Eastern District).
Justin received his J.D. from Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law and his B.A. from Washington University in St. Louis. He is admitted to practice in Maryland, District of Columbia, and Virginia.
Recent Representative Matters:
- Negotiated an $850,000.00 settlement for a Maryland woman who was injured when an unleashed dog knocked her over causing her to sustain a hip fracture
- Negotiated a $400,000.00 settlement for a woman who was injured when a truck abruptly changed lanes and struck her vehicle causing a severe neck injury resulting in an emergency surgical procedure and a difficult recovery.
- Justin and a Texas Lawyer, Jessie Guerra, recovered $1.25 million in a Virginia swimming pool drowning matter on behalf of a mother and father whose child was lost due to lifeguarding negligence
- Negotiated a $265,000.00 settlement on behalf of a woman who was rear-ended in a car accident resulting in a fractured arm. After surgery she was left with permanency, loss of use of the arm and scarring.
- Justin and Allan Serrano recovered more than $200,000 for a woman who was traveling straight on a green light when another driver made a left in front of her. She suffered permanent injuries to her hand and wrist and ultimately required a surgery.
- Recovered more than $110,000 for a man who injured his right leg, right hand, and right shoulder at work. The man had a complicated history of prior medical conditions including arthritis, diabetes, renal disease, and other factors. The case involved claims against Maryland Subsequent Injury Fund as well as the employer/insurer.
- The One Satisfaction Rule, September 23, 2019
- Kentucky’s Medical Review Panel is Unconstitutional, March 12, 2019
- Is There a Non-Hospital Peer Review Privilege?, September 25, 2018
- Apologies Don’t Sink Ships in Ohio, March 28, 2018
- Doctor’s Employer Left Holding the Bag, January 2, 2018
- Is the Medical Malpractice Insurance Crisis Over? Florida Says, “What Crisis?”, September 15, 2017
- Spangler v. McQuitty: A Second Bite at the Apple, January 10, 2017
- Sometimes, the Tortoise Loses, July 4, 2016
- Can Drug Addicts Sue Their Pharmacies and Doctors?, October 5, 2015
- Wrongful Death Rewind, March 26, 2014
- An Unsettled Settlement, March 21, 2013
Professional and Civic Involvement
Member, Fairfax Bar Association, 2013-present
Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2013-present
Member, Auto Negligence Section, Maryland Association for Justice, 2005-present; Vice Chair, 2009-2010
Member, American Association for Justice, Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises Liability, 2004-present
Member, Maryland State Bar Association, 2004-present
Member, Montgomery County Bar Association, 2004-present
Member, Prince George’s County Bar Association, 2004-present
Selected to Rising Stars of Maryland Super Lawyers® list, 2011-2018
Named “Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer” by The National Trial Lawyers
Top 100 National Trial Lawyer
Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Lawyers in Maryland
Maryland Court of Special Appeals
District Court of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Superior Court for the District of Columbia
Superior and Inferior Courts of the Commonwealth of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Additional Blog Posts by Justin Katz