What recourse do I have if someone I love was killed in an accident?

If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident in Maryland, you may be entitled to compensation.  Generally, a lawsuit against the party who negligently caused the death can be made by the surviving relatives.


Visit our Fatal Accident Practice Area Page to find out more about these types of claims you may be eligible for compensation for the loss of your loved one.


The sorrow and pain of losing someone you love can be overwhelming and it can make dealing with legal issues seem trivial. Nevertheless, as a surviving spouse or child, or even as a parent, you may have a claim against the person who caused the accident, for loss of support, sorrow and other damages.


Depending on whether your loss occurred in Maryland or Virginia, or some other state, there may be noneconomic damages applicable to your situation. Typically, noneconomic damages have a maximum that is set by the state and may vary from state to state. Economic damages, on the other hand, are generally not limited by the state.


The noneconomic damages are the suffering and loss of companionship to the family members because of the victim’s death. The economic damages measure the loss of future earnings. For example, if a father of two children were killed in an accident and he was supporting the two children financially, the at-fault insurance company would be responsible for the amount that would be "reasonably" certain that the children would have been expected to have. Also, if a wife was depending on the financial support of her husband who was killed in an accident, she would be entitled to recover for that financial support. Since damages in these types of cases are often difficult to discern, it is wise to consult with an attorney to discuss your legal options.

Robert W. Katz
Bob Katz is Chair of the Personal Injury Group at Gordon Feinblatt, LLC