Wrongful Death and Personal Injury Law | Frequently Asked Questions

Everyone has questions,  after an accident. Why did this happen? What can be done now? What are my rights under the law? That’s when you can turn to the lawyers who can assist answer your questions. Bob Katz has posted many Frequently Asked Questions on his website. He wants Maryland and Virginia injury victims to have the facts so they can move forward with their cases, make the right decision when hiring an attorney, receive the compensation they deserve, and focus on their recovery.


The following are a selected group of questions frequently asked by injured victims seeking answers. Please note that the following materials are NOT Legal Advice or Legal Opinion - All materials provided herein are prepared for a general audience for general informational purposes only. Their sole purpose is to better educate you about a variety of general legal issues so that you become more educated consumers of legal services. Information provided on the Sites should never be a substitute for consulting with a lawyer. Please contact us directly for advice on your specific situation.

  • Page 1
  • What recourse do I have if someone I love was killed in an accident?

    If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident in Maryland, you may be entitled to compensation.  Generally, a lawsuit against the party who negligently caused the death can be made by the surviving relatives.


    Visit our Fatal Accident Practice Area Page to find out more about these types of claims you may be eligible for compensation for the loss of your loved one.


    The sorrow and pain of losing someone you love can be overwhelming and it can make dealing with legal issues seem trivial. Nevertheless, as a surviving spouse or child, or even as a parent, you may have a claim against the person who caused the accident, for loss of support, sorrow and other damages.


    Depending on whether your loss occurred in Maryland or Virginia, or some other state, there may be noneconomic damages applicable to your situation. Typically, noneconomic damages have a maximum that is set by the state and may vary from state to state. Economic damages, on the other hand, are generally not limited by the state.


    The noneconomic damages are the suffering and loss of companionship to the family members because of the victim’s death. The economic damages measure the loss of future earnings. For example, if a father of two children were killed in an accident and he was supporting the two children financially, the at-fault insurance company would be responsible for the amount that would be "reasonably" certain that the children would have been expected to have. Also, if a wife was depending on the financial support of her husband who was killed in an accident, she would be entitled to recover for that financial support. Since damages in these types of cases are often difficult to discern, it is wise to consult with an attorney to discuss your legal options.