There’s No Such Thing as Too Many Questions

Bob Katz wants Maryland, Virginia and DC accident victims to have all the facts so they can make the right decision when hiring an attorney.  Accordingly, this section of our website is meant to provide basic insight into the issues we deal with for our clients on a day to day basis. It is NOT meant to be a substitute for real legal advice or opinion applicable to your particular situation. Please note therefore that the following materials are NOT Legal Advice or Legal Opinion.

All materials provided herein are prepared for a general audience for general informational purposes only. Their sole purpose is to better educate accident victims about a variety of general legal issues so these victims they can become more educated consumers of legal services. Information provided on the Sites should never be a substitute for consulting with a lawyer. Please contact us directly for advice on your specific situation.

  • Page 5
  • What do I do if I was struck by a hit-and-run driver who left the scene of the accident?

    1. If you have been injured, seek medical treatment.


    2. Regardless of whether you have been injured, call the police and report the accident immediately. It is imperative that you tell the police everything you know about the vehicle that struck you. Often, the police will be able to take a partial tag number or a vehicle description down and find the offending party. However, even in cases where the driver who struck you cannot be identified, it is critical to have the police document your accident. Obtain a police report incident number.


    3. Photograph any evidence you can which depicts the damage to your vehicle or the scene of the accident, which might be relevant.


    4. If you are injured, consider speaking with lawyer. You may have standing to make what is known as an uninsured motorist claim. Most drivers in Maryland and Virginia carry insurance that provides for uninsured motorist coverage in the event they are struck by an uninsured vehicle. In most of these policies, a hit and run vehicle is synonymous with a "phantom vehicle" which is by definition, "uninsured," as the insurance carrier for the vehicle cannot be determined.


    For more information on Uninsured Motorist Claims, visit our Auto Accident Practice Area Page



    What Does an Uninsured Motorist Claim in Maryland Cover?

    Uninsured motorist coverage may usually be utilized to pay for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages caused by the uninsured driver. As with other types of claims, proper documentation and elements of proof are critical. Some states require that there is an actual impact between the two vehicles. Other states, such as Maryland have no such requirement. As every case has unique facts, it is critical to contact a lawyer to discuss your legal options if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run



  • I’ve been injured on the job in Maryland. Is my employer responsible?

    If you have been injured in Maryland while at work, you should call Bob Katz today. You may be entitled to benefits for temporary disablement as well as permanent disabilities. You may also be entitled to have your medical treatment paid for by the employer's insurance company.

    If you are legitimately employed in Maryland, your employer has an obligation to purchase insurance which typically covers employees who are injured on the job. Most employers in Maryland obtain insurance coverage through a third party carrier though occasionally such employers will be self insured. Regardless of who provides the coverage, the law provides general protections to employees in Maryland to protect them and provide various benefits in the case that they are injured on the job and suddenly become partially or totally disabled or require medical treatment or surgery.

    Further, even if your employer did not properly obtain coverage, you may be entitled to obtain coverage through an alternative source, such as the Uninsured Employers’ Fund. To find out about these and other rights, you should consult with a lawyer.

    Our lawyers represent injured workers throughout the State of Maryland. Call Bob Katz today for a free consultation. 1-888-540-2599

  • What information will an attorney need from me for my car accident case?

    When you have been injured in an automobile accident though the fault of another person, you should seek the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney to handle your case.  While the attorney will assist you with your case from beginning to end, there are still many common sense approaches you can take on your own, to make sure that your case is handled in the most efficient way possible. One of those approaches is taking a pro-active role in your own case. You can do this in the following ways:


    1. Provide accurate and updated information to your attorney regarding your contact information.

    Whenever there is any change of address, telephone number or any other contact information, you should always let your attorney know.  It is surprising how often even very conscientious clients will forget to do this. Failure of a client to communicate this information to their attorney can lead to delays in their case. Also, if you are out of town or out of the country for an extended period of time and are unreachable, it is important to let your attorney know how to reach you.


    2. Keep your attorney updated about your treatment status.

    If you’re currently receiving medical treatment, you want to make sure that you let your attorney know if you are unable to keep your appointments with the doctor/medical provider.  Also, if you have completed your treatment or if your pain has gotten worse, you should let your attorney know right away so that they are aware of your treatment progress.  If you don’t, the adverse insurance company will frequently scrutinize gaps in treatment, missed appointments etc. when evaluating the value of your auto accident claim.  It will only help you to communicate as much information as possible to your attorney.


    3. Keep detailed notes and receipts regarding any out of pocket expenses or lost income.

         -For example, if you have to travel 20 miles back and forth to the medical provider, and you have to go for treatment three times a week, you should keep track of the mileage for reimbursement.

         -Make sure you let your doctor know that you have missed time from work so that the doctor can document that properly in your medical record.

         -If you have to pay co-pays for any treatment or medication that you received, or paid for any medical treatment, please keep receipts.

         -If you are unable to work, you should make detailed notes of the days and hours you missed.  If you are self-employed, it is very important to keep track of the time lost to document the lost income.

         -If you have to hire someone to work for you because you are unable to work, make sure that this is also documented as well.  You may have to provide copies of paychecks that you paid the employee as well as the bank statement confirming that the check was cashed.  You will need to document the days the employee worked, the number of hours they worked and their wage amount.


    4. Disclose everything to you attorney regarding any prior or subsequent accidents, claims or injuries.

    By letting the attorney know about your past accident and injury claims, it will help the attorney to be in a better position to negotiate a fair offer on your case.  Insurance adjusters have access to large databases, which check for insurance claims histories on each and every client.  If you don’t tell your attorney about your history, you may put yourself at a disadvantage when your attorney is negotiating your case.


    These are just a few of the common sense approaches to how you can assist your attorney in the course of your case. If you would like more information or would like to speak with an attorney regarding your case, please call the Bob Katz Law Office at 1-888-540-2599.


    Please note that the above does not constitute specific legal advice. Each case has different facts, and you should always consult with your attorney if you have any doubt as to how to proceed in your unique circumstance.

  • What recourse do I have if someone I love was killed in an accident?

    If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident in Maryland, you may be entitled to compensation.  Generally, a lawsuit against the party who negligently caused the death can be made by the surviving relatives.


    Visit our Fatal Accident Practice Area Page to find out more about these types of claims you may be eligible for compensation for the loss of your loved one.


    The sorrow and pain of losing someone you love can be overwhelming and it can make dealing with legal issues seem trivial. Nevertheless, as a surviving spouse or child, or even as a parent, you may have a claim against the person who caused the accident, for loss of support, sorrow and other damages.


    Depending on whether your loss occurred in Maryland or Virginia, or some other state, there may be noneconomic damages applicable to your situation. Typically, noneconomic damages have a maximum that is set by the state and may vary from state to state. Economic damages, on the other hand, are generally not limited by the state.


    The noneconomic damages are the suffering and loss of companionship to the family members because of the victim’s death. The economic damages measure the loss of future earnings. For example, if a father of two children were killed in an accident and he was supporting the two children financially, the at-fault insurance company would be responsible for the amount that would be "reasonably" certain that the children would have been expected to have. Also, if a wife was depending on the financial support of her husband who was killed in an accident, she would be entitled to recover for that financial support. Since damages in these types of cases are often difficult to discern, it is wise to consult with an attorney to discuss your legal options.